Monday, February 22, 2010

Hooray for a job! (well, keeping the one I have!)

So last week was an extremely tense week at work. In case you don't know, my employer, Great Falls Clinic, was on the verge of getting bought out by the bigger hospital system in Great Falls, Benefis. We're a physician-owned facility, so the physicians are all considered partners. In October, GFC and Benefis entered into an exclusive negotiation to see if there could be a deal made. There were some layoffs back before Christmas, as well as some required furloughs. It made for an extremely tense, almost hostile work environment because everyone was out for themselves. I guess I don't blame them - you have to do what's best for your family. Anywho, the partners were meeting weekly to decide our fate, and last week Wednesday they put it to a vote. We were all hoping to find out at work on Thursday, but don't worry - the Great Falls Tribune had the story.

The partners voted that while Benefis offered a good price, they could not agree on the terms they presented, therefore rejecting the offer. Within a few hours, Benefis pulled out of the agreement, and we are now searching for a different buyer. When we got the word Thursday, there were some angry physician because they thought it was a better deal, but there were even more people who were happy -- me being one of them. I know that down the road there might be some layoffs to keep costs down while we wait for a buyer, but for now, I am happy that I get to keep my job. I couldn't ask for a better job. Sure the politics can get old, but when it comes down to it, I have a job that is flexible, and everyone is like family. We all look out for one another, and being so far away, it's nice to have an aunt or mother-like figure who you can go to.

No comments:

Post a Comment